All Solos/Duets must follow BCA Age Guidelines and IASF Dance Safety Guidelines. Dancers may perform a Solo/Duet routine with choreography that supports one of the following categories: Pom, Jazz, Hip-Hop.
The BCA has the authority to make a decision on any issue, protest, penalty or rule that is unclear or not specifically addressed in these guidelines. The BCA will render a judgment in an effort to ensure that the Competition is conducted in a manner consistent with the general spirit of the Competition and the BCA.
If you have any questions contact firstname.lastname@example.org no less than 4 weeks prior to competition.
- No technical skills should be performed without proficiency before skill progression.
- Dancers should enter the performance area in a timely fashion. Entrance/exits will not be judged as part of the routine.
- Each routine will have a maximum of 1 minute 30 seconds (1:30) to demonstrate their style and expertise. Timing will begin with the first choreographed movement or note of music. Timing will end with the last choreographed movement or note of music, whichever happens last.
- All performers (unless injured) must remain within the performance area throughout the entire performance. Dancers can only enter and exit through the designated entry and exit points.
- Duets: Substitutions may be made in the event of any injury or other serious circumstance. Substitutes must also abide by the age restrictions in all divisions in which they compete.
- All staging, backdrops, special effects, costumes, or any items that may damage or otherwise alter the performance floor or environment, including backstage and practice area, are prohibited, including (but not limited to) water, baby powder, sliding oil, feathers, etc.
- Routines must be appropriate for family viewing. Suggestive, offensive, or vulgar choreography, costuming and/or music are inappropriate for family viewing and therefore lack audience appeal. Any vulgar or suggestive movements (hip thrusting, inappropriate touching/slapping/positioning to one another, etc), words, costuming or music will result in a 0.5 point deduction per violation.
- All choreography, costuming and make up should be age appropriate.
- Footwear in recommended but not required. Wearing socks and/or footed tights only is prohibited. Exception: Socks are allowed on a carpeted performance surface. Shoes with wheels are not allowed (roller skates, roller blades, heelys etc.)
- Jewellery as part of a costume is allowed.